Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Greener, More Active Year

I have made three resolutions for this year.

1. I will accomplish more this year, both professionally and personally.
2. I will be more organized than I have been.
3. I will be greener than I have been.

These three resolutions are broad, and they overlap.  They are not really single items that I can accomplish and be done with them, either.  I will not, at the end of this year, be able to look back and declare that I have reached any particular goal.  (I do have some specific goals attached to each of them.  More on that later.)  They are more a declaration of the person that I would like to be at the end of the year.  I would like to be able to look back on this year and feel like I have progressed in these areas.

However, I know that I have to attach specific, attainable goals to my resolutions, or I will not be able to judge my progress.  I know myself, and I know that I will wander around (metaphorically as well as physically) looking for things to do that sort of fit my resolutions.  Rather, I see my resolutions as integral to each other.  If I want to accomplish something, I will need to plan for it.  This requires organization.  If I want to make sure that something I do is as green as I can make it, I will also have to organize it.  Often, being greener IS what I want to accomplish, so these resolutions will meet more often than not.

Currently, I am in the organizational phase.  I have planned specific goals, and I have made skeleton plans for how to accomplish these goals during the coming year.  I am now in the phase where I start making incremental weekly and daily plans to move me forward in my accomplishments.  More on these goals tomorrow.  I must get back to organizing.

No comments: